Glen Cairn Skating Club News
New Season Registration
Registration for our CanPower, CanSkate and STARSkate programs is now open. Please click on a link below to register:
CanSkate lessons will be held the following dates and times:
- CanSkate Stages 1–3 Wednesday Sept 16 - Wednesday March 9, 6 - 6:50pm
- CanSkate Stages 3‐6 Wednesday Sept 16 - Wednesday March 9, 7 - 7:50pm
- CanSkate Stages 1–3 Saturday Sept 19 - Saturday March 5, 10 - 10:50am
- CanSkate Stages 3‐6 Saturday Sept 19 - Saturday March 5, 11 - 11:50am
- Preschool Fall Saturday Sept 19 - Saturday December 19, 9 - 9:30am
- Preschool Fall Saturday Sept 19 - Saturday Dec 19, 9:30 - 10:00am
- Preschool Winter Saturday Jan 2 - Saturday March 5, 9- 9:30am
- Preschool Winter Saturday Jan 2 - Saturday March 5, 9:30 - 10:00am
STARSkate Registration - Please Read Before Registering
Registration this year will all be done electronically online through CoastRegistry.
For returning skaters, please use the account information you set up last year. If you have forgotten your password, it can be reset through Coast Registry. Please follow the prompts on screen. If you forget the e-mail you registered your skater with, please contact the Registrar. Please do not set up a new account.
If your skater was a Program Assistant last season, and has earned credits towards registration for this season, they will be applied automatically to your total due when you register for this season.
If you have any difficulties with this, please contact the Registrar.
Please read this for more information about STARSkate registration, fees and guest skating buy–ons.
Off–Ice Training for STARSkate
IRINA SHIVRINA (dance instructor) will be offering off-ice conditioning classes once again this season for the GCSC on Sunday afternoons. Irina has over 25 years of experience under the Russian ballet philosophy and is trained in contemporary dance, Zumba, Acro & Character Dance. Her classes will focus on flexibility/acro, posture, core, upper body movement and expression through music.
Classes will be held at the Kanata Capital City Dance Studio (100 Castlefrank Rd, beside Mac's Milk)
- 1:15–2:15pm Senior level skaters
- 2:15–3:15pm Intermediate level skaters
- 3:15–4:00pm Junior level skaters
- First session classes: (13 classes)
- Sept 13, 20, 27, Oct 11, 18, 25, Nov 1, 8, 15, 29, Dec 6, 13, 20
- *No classes: Oct 4 (Autumn Skate), Nov 22 (Asticou)
- Cost for Senior and Intermediate classes $120.00.
- Cost for Junior classes $96.00.
- Second session classes: (11 classes)
- Jan 3, 10, 17, 24, Feb 7, 14, 28, Mar 6, 13, 20, 27
- *No classes: Jan 31 (Winter Skate), Feb 21 (EOSIC)
- Cost for Senior and Intermediate classes $110.00
- Cost for Junior classes $88.00
Deadline for registration: Tuesday, September 1, 2015.
Guest Skating Changes
***New This Year***
We have made some changes to the way our skaters will request permission to Guest Skate this season.
If your STARSkater would like to skate an extra session that they are qualified for but not registered for, with a coach's permission, the skater may purchase a BUY ON through Coast Registry, our online registration company - even if they are already at the rink!
The link below will allow a parent/skater to go online and purchase the session they wish to guest skate as a "buy-on". We no longer require 24 hours notice for club members but please note that your request will NOT be processed if there is no room on the session you are requesting.Fees for buy-ons are as follows:
|Session Registered||Club Members||Non–Members|
|Freeskate (40–60 mins)||$15||$20|
|20 min or less||$8||$12|
Guest Skating Policy for Buy-ons
A skater must have her/his coach's approval to guest skate on a session and must be qualified to skate on the session they wish to guest skate on. All buy-ons must be purchased/fees paid before the skater skates on the session.
Buy-ons will only be processed if there is room on the session requested. When you click on the link, you will be able to see how many spaces are left available on that session. If there are no spaces available, you will be unable to register and unable to guest skate.
Non-members must send their guest skate request to the STARSKate registrar at least 24 hours prior to the session, and will receive a paypal invoice that must be paid prior to skating.
Glen Cairn Skating Club has a new Facebook page! If you are on Facebook, check it out. "Like" and "Follow" the page to stay up to date on announcements about Club events, registration, session changes, competitions and more.
Board Members Wanted
Glen Cairn Skating Club is looking for new Board Members. The detailed descriptions are also on our Website. Just click here and see if any of these positions look like something you could help with.
Open positions include the following:
- Vice President
- Skater Development
- Pro Liaison
- Test Chair
- Volunteer Co-ordinator
Several of our skaters have life-threatening peanut/nut allergies. We ask that you please be considerate of them when packing snacks for your skaters or bringing in treats.